The 7th Beijing International Seminar on Tibetan Studies (BISTS) will be held at the China Tibetology Research Center (CTRC, Beijing, China) in August, 2020, seeing the Prosperity and Development of Tibetan Studies and the Opening-up of Tibet as its theme. This seminar gives scholars an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas on latest research results of Tibetan studies in recent years. The seminar will be hosted jointly by China Tibetology Research Center, China Association of Preservation and Development of Tibetan Culture, and Tibet Academy of Social Sciences. After the seminar, there will be a field investigation in Tibetan-inhabited areas in China for those who wish to participate in it.
I. Basic Information
1. Registration date: Wednesday, August 12th, 2020
2. Seminar date: August 13th to August 15th, 2020
3. Field investigation date: August 16th to August 19th, 2020
4. Departure date:
August 16th, 2020 (scholars who do not take part in field investigation)
August 20th, 2020 (scholars who take part in field investigation)
Please send your registration form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Registration charges for overseas scholars
300 US dollars/person (50% discount for students)
7. Fees for field investigation: 550 US dollars/person
II. Seminar Regulations
1. Chinese, Tibetan and English are the three official languages of the seminar and participants can choose one official language to present a paper which is subject to a time limit of 20 minutes.
2. All participants are required to submit an abstract of their papers by January 31st, 2020. Since a handbook of abstracts in Chinese, Tibetan and English will be prepared for the seminar, participants are strongly recommended to provide abstracts in two or three of the above languages in order to ensure translation accuracy.
3. All abstracts will be examined by the Paper Review Committee of the 7th BISTS, which consists of senior experts on Tibetan studies. Before February 29th, 2020, those who are accepted by the seminar will receive the second round announcement by email. Participants should not present papers that have been read at other conferences or published elsewhere. All papers should be the results of original research. Papers should be based on primary sources in original languages or should otherwise provide a substantial advance in the field of Tibetan studies.
4. If a panel or round table discussion is proposed, participants are expected to make an application before January 31st, 2020 and submit a brief description no less than 500 words including panel topic, names of the proposed participants in your panel and their contact information.
5. Those who only wish to attend the seminar as observers, as a student, should submit a description of their current state of work and research interests of approximately 750 words, as well as two letters of recommendation, one from their academic institution and the other from an expert by January 31st, 2020. Observers also have to pay a registration fee.
6. The hosts of the seminar will cover the costs of accommodation and meals during the seminar. However, participants should bear the international travel costs. Those who wish to take a field investigation should pay an extra 550 US dollars for basic cost of accommodation and transportation.
7. All participants are requested to apply for their own visas, and purchase health insurance and liability insurance. An invitation letter for visas will be provided by CTRC if required. If you need any help for visa application, please e-mail us your name (as written on your passport) and your passport number. We will send you a recommendation letter to help you to apply for visa.
8. To avoid disunity in Chinese-Tibetan-English translation of your names, please specify your name in Chinese, Tibetan and English on the registration form. Please make sure you give us detailed contact information (including your employer, telephone number, fax number, E-mail address, and passport information) so that we can get in touch with you in time.
III. Contact Information
Contact persons: Ms. Zhang Silu, Ms. Li Zehui
Tel: 0086-10-6494 5120
Fax: 0086-10-6489 5120
E-mail address: email@example.com
China Tibetology Research Center
November 7, 2019
Even though it’s been 64 years, retired Xizang MinzuUniversity professor Chen Qinfu still r...